| TEXAS STYLIST & SALON | APRIL 2017 | 7
and this page can be considered the home
page of the bill.
• Text tab: The full text of the bill can be found
and reports, if any, on the bill. You will notice
Adobe PDF, HTML and Microsoft Word formats
for the text.
• Actions tab: The list of stages the bill could be in
is found here, could range from introduced to
• Companions tab: Bills that would pass together.
• Amendments tab: A full text of any amend-
ments suggested to the bill and its author. An
amendment is a change or addition to a bill.
• Authors tab: List of the authors of the bill.
• Sponsors tab: A list of legislators who strongly
support the bill.
• Captions tab: A history of the different titles the
bill has had.
• Bill Stages: This is the page you and I use to
determine the stage the bill is in; this tab is a
layman’s version of the Action tab.
8. To read the bill click on the Text tab.
9. Now click on the PDF, text or Word icons
to read the bill. Wondering what the underlined
and crossed out language is for? Underlined
text is language the bill want to add to the law.
Crossed out language is what the bill was to get
Find and track SB 1503 by Zaffirini by using
the same steps outlined above. See if you can
find any significant differences.
With 32 programs TDLR has 341 bills to track
this session, but luckily there are several em-
ployees to track the bills through the legislative
process. If you are signed up for TDLR’s Twitter
or Facebook accounts, you will be receiving pe-
riodic updates also. The Department encourages
you to be an active participant in your industry’s
law making process and make your voice heard!
Operators – 140,716
Manicurists – 44,449
Estheticians – 19,890
Eyelash Extension Specialty - 666
Hair Weavers – 168
Shampoo Specialists – 117
Wig Specialists – 14
Operator Instructors – 5,450
Manicure Instructors – 67
Esthetician Instructors – 203
Wig Instructors – 2
Students – 25,754
Schools – 441
Salons – 19,790
Mini-Salons – 9,587
Manicure Salons – 742
Esthetician Spec. Salons – 1,446
Eyelash Extension Salon – 190
Specialty Salons – 5,814
Hair Weaving Salon - 60
Wig Salons – 36
Dual Shop/Salon –4,004*
Mini-Dual Shop/Salon – 405
* Dual number also listed in
barber statisticsCosmetology — Shear Numbers
Barbers – 16,229
Barber Manicurists – 296
Barber Technicians – 15
Barber Hair Weaving Specialist –11
Barber Shops – 3,603
Mini-Barbershop – 385
Mini-Dual Shop/Salon – 416
Dual Shop/Salon –4,082*
Mobile Barber Shop - 16
Barber Manicure Shops – 57
Barber Hair Weaving Shops – 4
Barber Instructors – 408
Students – 2,761
Schools – 79
* Dual shop/salon also listed in
cosmetology statisticsBarber — Shear Numbers